Tuesday, July 8, 2014

GRITTY GIRLS

Such a  big hue and cry because a Russian woman tennis player does not know who Sachin Tendulkar is!!!    For us Indians, cricketers are next to God or what ?? We give so much importance to cricketers and cricket and even forget that cricket is not our national game.

Our national game is Hockey and most Indians would not even remember one Hockey player's name. We do not even watch Hockey anymore. Not only Hockey there are lot of sports and sportsmen who have done so much for India but they are living in poverty.

I was in sports, I have played hockey, kabaddi, kho kho but never even once thought to pursue sports in future. May be the pathetic conditions would have made me turn away from sports.

When I was in 8th I had to make a choice between kabaddi and kho kho for a school competition. I opted for kho kho because I heard that the crowd comprising mostly men make fun of these women players.

 Its been more than 2 decades I got the opportunity of witnessing a women's kabaddi competition near our house. I got the information that lot of unruly men have come to witness the game. I gathered all my courage and walked slowly to the park.

When I reached the park I saw lot of men witnessing the game. Apart from the women kabaddi players I was the only woman in the crowd. I stood there and saw the whole game. People around me were amused to see a woman in the crowd.

The game has already started. There was fierce competition going on. The ground was hard and muddy, I did not know why a bucket of water was splashed on to the ground. All the players were bleeding from their legs and elbows. One girl caught by the other side players fell so hard on the ground that I could hear her head banging on to the hard floor. Nobody came to her side, no medication nothing. After the game they were all waiting on the road, no rest rooms.

I just witnessed the whole game and felt shocked at the pathetic condition. But I really admire the grit and determination of all these players who against all odds are still keeping the game alive.

My intention for going and watching this match was to give a moral support to all women kabaddi players out there and also to give a message out to all women to come and support these players.

No comments: